It’s a hairy world out there

It’s a hairy world out there

Body hair. It’s a funny thing really. Its original purpose was to keep us warm or to protect germs from getting where they shouldn’t and now it’s little more than a fashion accessory. I’ve always wondered how it was determined that eyebrows, the hair on the top of your head and the male beard were ok, but that hair pretty much everywhere else was a no-no.

I also wonder whether it’s all about to change. It feels like as men become more concerned about body hair with male waxing on the rise, women are doing the opposite and going au naturel. Will it be that my grandson walks around with skin like a baby’s bottom and my granddaughter like an ape (It wouldn’t be surprising with my family genes).

Ok, so, granted not all women are walking around with more hair on their pits than eyebrows and I can’t ever imagine the female moustache really taking off (although, it would save me a hell of a lot in waxing). But, you only have to pick up a women’s mag or flick through Insta to see another model or influencer embracing their inner cavewoman.

it's not me, it's you body hair

And, why not? We shouldn’t feel pressured into waxing, shaving, zapping ourselves with lasers or burning our skin with removal cream (bad memories). We SHOULD be able to just let our bodies be as hairy or un-hairy as we want. Hell, if you want wavey eyebrows or to keep your pubes trimmed as Playboy bunny that is your choice. But, NGL I’m not there yet, nor do I think I ever will be.

In an episode of KUWTK, Kim was getting laser hair removal and one of her friends mentioned about hair potentially coming back into fashion and Kim was like ‘don’t care’. If Kim K won’t do it for fashion then what hope is there for us basic bitches? Although, I did see a Facebook video of someone having extensions applied to their armpit hair… I’m going to stick with Kim on this one though!

What are your thoughts on body hair? Are you ready to let it grow?

itsnotmeitsyou12
itsnotmeitsyou12
Loved this post? Give it a share!

9 Comments

1. February 1, 2019 / 2:23 pm

Oh god, I totally can relate to this post! As a hairy girl, waxing, shaving or epilating can get too much sometimes!

• itsnotmeitsyou12
      Author
      February 3, 2019 / 7:14 pm

Soo much effort. But, it does feel really good afterwards as well though.

2. February 1, 2019 / 8:22 pm

I totally agree that hair is hair. It’s grown for a reason and years of surpressing has brought us to a point where women wouldn’t dream of showing off any sort of hair! But it’s not easy. I think you have to be totally carefree to have the confidence to walk out and show off your hairy pits or legs!
    I’m very much for going natural but I wouldn’t dare go out into public, I’d be too self conscious. I think I need to let some more daring women lead the way first!
    Great post 😊💜

• itsnotmeitsyou12
      Author
      February 3, 2019 / 7:14 pm

Thanks, lovely! I totally agree and despite being very forward-thinking, I’m so not ready to cancel my monthly waxes just yet.

• February 4, 2019 / 12:58 pm

Exactly! At the end of the day you’ve got to do what makes you feel comfortable. Not because it’s what everyone else tells you to do! If you wanna wax, wax! If you don’t, don’t!

3. February 5, 2019 / 6:12 pm

I LOVE this post. I’m someone that doesn’t really shave my legs often unless I really need to. I mean, it’s an extra layer of warmth in the winter, right? Armpits is one thing I could not leave, but I don’t think I would ever do something reguarding hair just because of a new ‘fashion trend’, I mean, most of the hair on our body is hidden a lot of the time anyway!

Paige x

• itsnotmeitsyou12
      Author
      February 6, 2019 / 8:54 am

Haha, I guess that’s what’s nature intended it for. I’m guilty of getting waxed regularly but I just wish I could not give a shit! x

4. February 6, 2019 / 2:01 am

Great post! Kudos to all the women that embraces hair and go out in public without much care! I get self conscious if my legs have stubble already. While I do maintain my body hair, I am supportive that body hair is natural and should be left to the owner to decide if they want to keep it or shave it off. I would hate to see girls being pressured by society to remove everything if they don’t want to, and the worst of all, being pressured by boys to remove hair!

• itsnotmeitsyou12
      Author
      February 11, 2019 / 3:14 pm

Totally agree. I’m personally not ready to embrace it but that’s because I don’t want to, not because I am being pressured by anyone to do it. It shouldn’t really be such a big debate, it should just be whatever you personally feel comfortable with.

Subscribe to It's Not me, It's You. via email

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive exclusive content to your inbox. I won't bombard you with posts - promise!

I will also not unlawfully store you data and you can opt out at any time.